Sunday, February 13, 2011

Pizza, Pizza and Cupcakes Galore!

Okay, it has been over a month since my last post and I feel like a very lazy blogger.  I am back though and in the past months of have tried not one, but two fun new things that I wanted to share however today you get the pizza and hopefully tomorrow you'll get the cupcakes!
Every since Elliana was diagnosed Pizza has been my achilles heal.  We have constantly been invited to Pizza parties, or had pizza at family dinners and Elliana has had to look at it in all it's glory and then go eat the pasta I brought for her.  I have tried to make her pizza before, but everytime I try a dairy-free cheese Elli tries a bite and ltierally looks like she's going to puke because it is, apparently, that nasty.  Finally, two weeks ago, I decided to give it one last try.  I had heard of a newer dairy free cheese called Daiya and thought I would give it one last try. 


For the crust of this pizza I used a basic yeast crust.  Just google 'Pizza Crust' and you will find lots of great recipes.  I then brushed the unbaked crust with olive oild and sprinkled it with italian seasoning.  For the sauce I just used a spaghetti sauce that did not have any dairy.  Ragu has several varieties that would work.  I then added the cheese and topped it with onion because Elli likes cooked onions. 
                                     


You'll notice when you look at this pizza that the cheese does not melt like a normal mozzarella would.  However, it does more importantly stretch and smell more like normal cheese.  The smell of this pizza was inviting rather than making me want to gag which is a huge improvement over previous pizza attempts!  The night we made this pizza Elli had four friends over (that's right, 6 kids in our 900 square foot apartment) and it was so much fun to see her enjoying a slice of pizza with her friends! 


This is what a happy girl looks like!


Our second project was cupcakes!  As most of you know, Divvies recipes are the basis for my dairy, egg, and nut-free baking.  The recipes are AMAZING!  The chocolate cupcakes were actually my first Divvies recipe that I tried after I saw Lori Sandler on Martha Stewart.  They are everything a cupcake should be; chocolaty, moist and DELICIOUS!  Since it was my niece, Presleigh's, birthday party this weekend it seemed only fitting that we would have a few there.  I made up a few before we left Colorado Springs and I planned to decorate them when I got to my sister's house.  That night my sister and I started to decorate when we had an epiphany.  What was our epiphany, you might ask?  Instead of your typical paper cupcake liner we decided to use chocolate!  White chocolate to be exact.  Now, for any readers who will be doing this strictly dairy free, you should know that we did only one of these with dairy free chocolate because I did not have enough of the correct chocolate chips since we had not planned on making them and we can not buy them in Garden City, KS.  As far as I know you cannot get dairy-free white chocolate, but Elli assured me it was delicious with regular milk chocolate.  My sister also blogged about this and as the pictures were on her camera I'll just share the link to her blog so you can take a look at the picture! 
Let me tell you, these cupcakes were one of the most unique desserts I have had in a long time and would make a very delicious and creative addition to any party - maybe a Valentine's Day party?
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment